If you’ve ever wondered exactly what ‘free range’ means, wanted to get in touch with the seasons, or show your children exactly where their food comes from, Mudgee Fine Foods have come up with a great idea to get people back to grass roots level.
On the Sunday morning that follows our third Saturday Farmers Markets join us on our guided farm walks, where you can get your hands dirty on a working farm.
From our great range of producers, two farms are chosen each month. Depending on the season, you may get to see olive oil production, free-range pork, locally grown vegetables,vineyards,a fig orchard, or a working winery. Check out our Farm Walks Calendar to see which farms will be participating when you are visiting.
Farm walk participants get to meet the farmer and hear how passionate they are about what they produce. According to the season, you will be shown various stages of their production. There will be lots of opportunities to talk to the farmer, ask questions, and get your ‘hands dirty’.
Depending on the season, you may even get the chance to pick or collect produce, and taste really fresh food. There may also be the opportunity to purchase produce direct from the farm gate.
Not only does this give you a chance to experience a working farm, it is a nice way to get in touch with the seasonality of growing produce.
If you are a group travelling to Mudgee, or you are planning an interesting weekend with friends, Mudgee Fine Foods can run tailor made Farm Walks to suit your particular interests.Contact Liz on email@example.com
A testimonial from a Farm Walker…
“We had the most magnificent weather for Farm Walks on Sunday, two families, 9 people in total and 5 of them were teenagers. The kids loved getting down and dirty in the garden at Broombee just as much as the adults did and Clem and Vanessa were wonderful at Australian Gourmet Hazelnuts.The gentleman that booked brought his family up for the day form the mountains and emailed me when he got home to say they loved it and they’ll be back in September or October.”
FARM WALK INFORMATION
• Farm Walks run on the Sunday morning that follows our third Saturday Farmers Markets.( This is mostly the third Sunday, but not always!)
• Tour tickets need to be purchased prior to the tours. They are available at the Information tent at the Farmers Markets on Saturday morning; they can be purchased up to 5pm on Saturday from the Mudgee Visitor Information Centre, 84 Market Street Mudgee or online from our website. If you are booking on-line after midday on Saturday, please call the Farm Walk Co-ordinator to confirm the walk is going ahead.
• Tickets are $10/person or $20/family. This ticket covers the 2 farms on the day. You are free to visit either or both farms on the day.
• Tours start from the Mudgee Visitor Information Centre, 84 Market Street, at 9.00am. Please make yourself known to the Tour Leader, and have your Farm Walk ticket with you. You will then ‘follow the leader’ to the participating farms. Participants need to get themselves to and from each farm in their own transport.
• Please wear covered shoes, no pets allowed, and be prepared to learn, enjoy yourself, and get some dirt on you!
• Tour duration times can vary according to distance travelled between farms, what there is to see and do at each farm, (and sometimes how long the farmer likes to chat!) but allow 3 to 31/2 hours.
• For more information, please contact on firstname.lastname@example.org